Monday, September 24, 2018

Weekend Review {9/24}


There are no pictures, but Friday shenanigans took place. 

I got in some miles in the AM, to include a dog run/walk.  I tried Chickfila chicken minis for breakfast, I was not impressed.  Nothing significant happened at school.  Then it was time for work.

I had a Friday meeting at 2pm. 
I have a personal rule about meetings after noon on Fridays... I don't accept them.  Before I was going to class in the mornings, I was usually out of the office on Fridays from 1-2pm.  Now that I'm not in the office at o-dark-thirty, I am in the office later, so I accepted the meeting... and by "accepted" I mean... I walked in with "doctored" soda in my cup.  We were able to get through the document in record time (1 hr).  It was a miracle. 

When I left, I had a #MeganFail and didn't check traffic and after seeing how backed up on way was, had to turn around and go the other way to get to the gym in time.  I made it to the gym and managed to sober myself up for the drive home.  When I got home, Teh German and I couldn't figure out what we wanted to do for dinner, (I really wanted Mexican food, but I didn't really want to make the effort of going out, and Teh German wasn't making a decision either).  After 30 minutes of the decision-less debacle, I finally was like, fuck this and found something in the fridge to eat, cottage cheese and half a pimento cheese sammich (queen of good choices here).  I didn't bother to wait on Teh German since he wouldn't stop his infinite scrolling.  By the time he made his dinner, I was headed upstairs to shower.

After my shower, I headed over to Teh PT house to go on a Blizzard adventure with Teh PT Wife and Kid.  This is when real shenanigans started.  I think it's that the combination of myself, Teh PT Wife, AND Teh PT Kid is unlucky.  When we pulled up to Dairy Queen, I noticed the parking lot was empty and the lights were off.  Confused, we stopped at the door to see a sign that said they had been struck by lightning and were closed.  We couldn't remember the last time there was an actual thunderstorm with lightning in the area....  It was weird.  Soooo we headed to get milkshakes from the Come Back Shack. 

We got stuck in the drive through (since there is no way to escape their drive through due to poor planning) and ended up ordering something for Teh PT Husband and Teh PT Kid, just to order something. Since there was no birthday cake milkshake, Teh PT Wife suggested going to Cookout for a milkshake and I was happy with that decision.  When we were finally released from drive-thru purgatory, we headed to Cookout.

At some point, I realized I was starving.  This isn't really a surprise when I think back to what I had eaten and how much I'd worked out.  I ordered an oreo milkshake and sweet tea at Cookout, but I knew it wasn't enough.  And then.. I looked down at my watch and realized that Willie Jewells, which was across the street, was still open.  I hunger begged Teh PT Wife to make a stop at Willie Jewells for me. 

I ordered a pulled pork sammich with cole slaw and I made sweet mouth love to that sammich all the way home.  In fact, I was a few bites from being finished when we pulled into the driveway and I just sat in the car to finish it while everyone else went inside.  It was the best pulled pork sammich I'd ever eaten.  Teh PT Wife told Teh German and Teh PT Husband when I went inside that she was worried she'd get her fingers bitten off while trying to get a fry I was so... invested... in my eating.

I ate less than half my milkshake, since I really just needed protein to feel full.  Of course, it didn't take long after that for exhaustion to set in.  Teh German and I headed home and it was bedtime.


Saturday was a slow start. First up: breakfast and coffee outside.  Second was a difficult chat with some friends.  One of these things went better than the other.  It's really hard to have a conversation with someone who refuses to discuss things that they don't like or want to hear.  I also find it extremely disrespectful to be completely ignored/unacknowledged after I've said something that is difficult to say.  I had to work up the balls to say something to begin with, at least acknowledge my fucking effort, even if you don't like it.  Additionally, it's hard to maintain a friendship with someone that makes me feel disrespected and unvalued.  We'll see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

Halloween Fruit Loops with Marshmallows!

After breakfast, it was time for laundry and to make sure any last minute guest prep was accomplished, i.e. Meri and Pax testing the bed to ensure that our guests would be comfortable.....

In a very frustrating situation, that I had ZERO control of (which was part of the problem), Teh German and I sat around waiting on our guests for over an hour since we didn't really know when they'd arrive.  Uhhhh, one of the things I hate, hate, and double hate?  Waiting for something/someone when I don't know when to expect them.  I don't want to get involved in anything because I don't want to be interrupted, but I hate wasting my time just sitting around doing nothing.  Life's best catch-22 that I should be used to after the Navy, but lawd it makes me stabby.

The biggest part is that Teh German hadn't coordinated with our guests to see what their plans were until the night before.  Oh yes, that scream you just heard was my control freak having a meltdown.  Not only did he not know what they planned on doing (i.e. coming straight to our house from the airport or something else), he had no idea what they planned on doing while they were here (i.e. were they planning to include us in their activities or not (I wasn't worried either way, I was ok with just being a hotel or being included)).

When they finally arrived, Teh German gave them the tour of the house and they brought their stuff in and I was hangry by the time we left for lunch.  Teh German wouldn't shut up and I finally was like, "You think you can tell them about this in the car?  Let's go."  Obviously, their first impression of me was the most accurate they could have gotten: Needs to be fed promptly.

We went to Mex 1 for lunch since I'd been craving it for a while.  We ended up with the worst server in the restaurant.  Beers were delivered by the bartender before my sweet tea was delivered.  I told Teh German I was considering stabbing our server in the leg with my silverware so we could get a different server.  Teh German suggested that he'd probably still be our server, but maybe with a limp.  I responded, "You can't cover up a bleeding stab wound with a blue bandaid or gloves and keep working." 

Our appetizers came out about 5 minutes before our food, which meant they didn't get eaten.  Teh German commented that he was glad I was wearing my sunglasses so the server couldn't see my rage eyes.  I admitted to him that I had put my sunglasses on my head after the beers were delivered by the bartender so that way the server could clearly see my pissed off face.  #NotSorry

churro chips for dessert.
Thanks extended Restaurant Week

The best part of lunch at Mex 1 was meeting a new friend.  Sadly, new friend was more interested in her owner's chips than me petting her.. Rude, especially since I have a soft spot for dals since my family/I owned them.

I suggested a nap after lunch, but Teh German didn't want to accept that suggestion.  One of our guests suggested the beach and I mentioned that we had a pool in the neighborhood, and that was the agreed upon activity (*praisehands* since that meant no sand in my car).  I'm 100% certain we ALL took naps at the pool.  It was Teh German's first time at the pool this year.  So glad we get our money's worth from those HOA dues....

We had agreed to meet Teh SC German and Teh SC Teacher at Red's around 6:30 for evening activities with our guests.  I guess I should explain that one of the guests worked with Teh German and Teh SC German in Charleston for a few months before returning to the German location.  Guest reached out to Teh German a few months ago when he and his girlfriend decided to come visit CHS.  We offered free lodging and they took us up on it (YAY!). 

We snacked (since lunch was late) for dinner and hung out for a bit at the bar, then we decided to walk the Shem Creek Pier.  

I'm old AF, so by 10, I was doooonnneee.  We eventually walked back to the car and headed home for bedtime.


Sunday was my morning to get up with the dogs and since it was uncharacteristically cool outside, I sat outside, snuggling with my Monkey-Doodle and texting with Teh Running Bestie.  Since it was cooler outside than inside, I left the door cracked for doggy comings and goings.  Meri was up on the couch with me, protecting her human and using her radar ears to assess her domain, and Pax did eventually meander out to poke me in the eye with his nose and give me a general morning sniff down.

We had agreed that we'd go to Sunflower Cafe for breakfast at 0900.  So I finally headed inside to get ready.  When we arrived, there was a short wait, but it was no big deal... especially after our food arrived within 10 minutes of ordering it.  #WIN

I didn't even think to take a picture of my delicious mushrooms, spinach, white cheddar, and crab omlette w/ grits and a biscuit.  I can admit to maintaining "clean plate club" status though.  I have a love/hate relationship with finding crab shell in my food.  Hate because shell and ouch my teeth, love because that means you got legit crab, not some imitation crab shit.

After breakfast, we made a pit stop at Food Lion for sammich ingredients and adult beverages for a boating adventure.  We had made plans to go out on Teh SC German and Teh SC Teacher's boat for the day the night before.  We were 30 minutes earlier than expected which meant getting on the water sooner than we anticipated!

Teh German and I got to experience our first lock traversal.  It was cool except for when we got attacked by lovebugs.  Fucking lovebugs.  I hate them.  They are a bane to my existence.  Maybe because I have a hard limit to things sexin' on me?  IDK, I just do not like them.  They don't bite, they just land on you and they are creepy and I don't like it.  The top of the lock was a lovebug orgy that I was unwilling involved in.  NO ME GUSTA.

Lock selfie!

Lovebug orgy.
Multiply this by 1000 and that's approximately how many lovebugs were swarming us.

We hung out at an island beach for a little while, then we ran from the rain, we took the lock back down to the river and got orgy raped again by the lovebugs.  On the river, the dudes took turns wake boarding.  Teh German showed off his moves with dragging his fingers through the wake and jumping almost the entire wake.  NBD.

I passed on tubing because it always makes me hurt soooo bad for so long after and I want to be able to keep up my run/workout schedule that I'm currently maintaining.  Around 5:15, we had to make the decision to stay out or go in and I had to make the sad announcement that we needed to go home since we had to feed the beasts.  I also had homework to attend to.  Womp womp.

Mr. Big Deal 💜

So, we headed back to dry land.  When we got home, I showered the lake off, then set about leftovers for dinner.  After dinner, I started on homework.  While I worked on homework, Teh German and our guests ate dinner and then watched a movie.  I finished up with homework by 9:30 and then I spent 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back making virtual paperclips.  I had to just cut myself off and close the window so I could go to bed.

Either due to sunburn or "fall" "arriving" (both of those words are in quotes because I don't believe either of these things are true), I was freeeeeeeeeezing for most of the evening.  I tried to put on long sleeves because I love long sleeves, but the sunburn was not accepting that.  When I got in the bed, I made Meri snuggle with me so I wouldn't freeze.  When Teh German finally came to bed, I got a little warmer, but I still ended up pulling out a long sleeve sleep shirt because I just couldn't get warm.  Then I proceeded to sweat throughout the night.  It was just as awesome as you imagine.


A good weekend, overall.  A busy weekend, for sure.  It's strange to me not to spend my entire weekend or at least a full day of the weekend focused on school things.  I probably could, but I don't really have to, so I haven't.  I guess we'll find out what kind of mistake that is when I take my tests this week..... :)

Our guests leave tomorrow, so we'll be back to an empty nest. 

Our HVAC was "fixed" this morning.. so fingers crossed that the next time it breaks, it REALLY breaks and they have to just replace the entire thing... this will save me having to kill it in a few years.  What this really means is that I really pissed off my computer science professor when I ran out of class to take a phone call in the middle of class.  He likes to do this thing where he publicly shames students for doing things he doesn't like (i.e. walking out during the middle of class to go to the bathroom or take a call).  I apologized when I came back in the classroom and explained it was an emergency.  He said, "Yeah, what kind of emergency?"  I responded, "The kind where my HVAC is broken and that was the HVAC guy who was calling.  I consider no AC an emergency."  He didn't say anything to me after that.  Bitch please, I'm an adult, not a cadet (not to say some cadets aren't adults), and I have a real life that doesn't revolve around The Citadel.  Get the fuck out of my face with getting in my business.  I should have said it was personal, but didn't feel like fighting that fight this morning and it was easier just to be honest.  It won't be a sad day for too many cadets when he finally retires.

Meri's birthday is Thursday!  We have zero things planned.  I mean, she's pretty spoiled on a day-to-day basis and the most recent training they've accomplished with me is that if bully sticks haven't been dispensed by 7:30, the begging eyes and harassment begin.  And like the well-trained human I am, I promptly dispense bully sticks to make the dogs stop harassing me.


The week of the hurricane really threw me off and I'm struggling with wrapping my head around the fact that this IS actually the last week of September and next week is OCTOBER.  Lawd, please let long sleeve weather be upon me in the next week or so.  Because after long sleeve weather is hoodie weather and that is definitely my favorite time of year... anytime I can wear a hoodie. 

Happy End of September, Gentle Readers.


  1. Boo to people not acknowledging/responding when you finally get up the courage to say VERY IMPORTANT THINGS!

    It was cool-ish enough this morning that I could have worn a jacket into the office...which I did not expect or plan for. Fall is coming. Eventually.

  2. I love the minis. It's one of 2 things I actually like at Chick Fil A.


YAY!! I love comments! Please be aware that I reply to comments via email; please have an email associated with your account so we can chat!